2019 Useful Dates
- Asian American History Month
- May 2 National Day of Reason (first Thursday)
- May 3 World Press Freedom Day
- May 5 Anniversary of Town of Greece V. Galloway
- May 15 International Day of Families
- May 16 International Day of Living Together in Peace
- May 17 International Day Against Homophobia
- May 27 Memorial Day (last Monday)
- May 31 World No-Tobacco Day
Focus for May
The National Day of Reason is held on the first Thursday in May (in parallel with the National Day of Prayer) to continue our Founders’ efforts to keep religion and government separate while ensuring that reason is the basis for public policy. The National Day of Reason also serves as an alternative to the National Day of Prayer, during which government officials at the federal, state, and local level ask their constituents to join them in sectarian prayer. Not only do government officials use National Day of Prayer to participate in an egregious violation of the separation between church and state, but they also alienate millions of humanists like you and me and others who look to reason—not prayer—to solve problems.
Ask your congresspeople to disavow the National Day of Prayer
“Will you represent all of your constituents–religious and non-religious, theist and atheist–by not supporting a Day of Prayer, and instead supporting inclusive solutions to the problems our state faces?”
Invite speakers or hold discussions on local “unreasonable laws” (examples below) and what can be done to counter them
- Laws which allow for parents to exempt their children from vaccination requirements.
- Laws which allow for Americans to discriminate against other Americans for religious reasons, such as the Religious Freedom Restoration Act.
- Laws which prohibit discussion of climate change by state officials.
Get a Day of Reason Proclamation in your state/city/town and encourage your legislators to make statements and/or resolutions
WHEREAS, the application of reason, more than any other means, has proven to offer hope for human survival upon Earth, improving conditions within the universe, and cultivating intelligent, moral and ethical interactions among people and their environments, and
WHEREAS, those who wrote the Constitution of the United States of America, the basic document for governing the affairs of humankind within the United States, based it upon principles delineated within the philosophies distinguishing the historical Age of Reason, and
WHEREAS, most citizens of the United States purport to value reason and its application, and
WHEREAS, it is the duty and responsibility of every citizen to promote the development and application of reason
NOW, THEREFORE, I [name, title] hereby proclaim Thursday, the 2nd day of May, 2019 a DAY OF REASON
and I encourage all citizens, residents and visitors to join in observing this day and focusing upon the employment of reason, critical thought, the scientific method, and free inquiry to the resolution of human problems and for the welfare of humankind.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF I hereunto set my hand and cause the Seal of [government] to be herein affixed.
Education – Recommended Books & Movies
- Review logic and fallacy with these exercises inspired by Monty Python (ages 11+)
- Read about the history and legal foundations of separation of church and state
Social Media Toolkit
Hashtags: #NationalDayOfReason #NDoR #reason #DayofReason
“Reason is a fundamental tenant that shaped this nation’s constitution, upon which America’s founders established our most cherished freedoms.” ― Roy Speckhardt
“The hands that help are better far than lips that pray.” ― Robert Green Ingersoll
For graphics and the latest news on the National Day of Reason, visit nationaldayofreason.org.